- 1/2 lb. mushrooms, trim stems and cut in half
- 2 lb. lean stew beef, trim off visible fat and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 C flour
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t pepper
- 1/2 lb. bacon, cut into 1 in. pieces
- 2 C dry red wine (Pinot Noir works well with this dish)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can beef stock
- 1/4 C brandy
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots cut into 1 in. pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 t parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 lb. baby potatoes, halved
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 C frozen pearl onions
- 1/2 C frozen peas
Preheat oven to 350F.
Combine flour, salt and pepper in a bowl.
Flour meat pieces; shake off any excess amounts.
Place bacon in a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Cook 6 minutes or until crisp.
Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
Add meat to the pan and brown for 8 minutes, turning pieces so all sides brown evenly.
Remove the beef to the paper towel and discard the bacon grease.
Return the bacon and beef to the pan.
Pour in wine, beef stock and brandy.
Stir in tomato paste.
Add onion, carrot, garlic, parsley and bay leaf, stirring to combine.
Bring the mixture to a brisk boil.
Cover and bake 2 hours; remove from oven and place pan back on the stove over medium heat.
Remove the bay leaf and discard.
Add potatoes and bring the mixture to a brisk boil.
Cover and return stew to the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
Place butter and olive oil into a skillet over medium heat.
Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are browned and the liquid has been absorbed.
Remove pan from oven and stir the mushrooms, onions and peas.
Cover and bake 15 more minutes.
This beef stew in red wine recipe serves 2 plus leftovers.