- 4 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 6 to 8 ounces (175 to 225 grams) sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (1 2/3 cups) evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 to 3 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- 1/3 cup chopped bell pepper, green (Capsicum)
- 1 small jar (2 ounces or 55 grams) chopped pimento, drained (about 1/4 cup)
- salt to taste
- buttered bread crumbs, optional
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter or margarine; add mushrooms and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
Blend in flour; cook, stirring, for about 1 minute.
Gradually add milk and broth.
Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
Add rice, chicken, pepper and pimento.
Add salt to taste.
Transfer to a greased, 2-quart casserole. Bake at 350F (170C) for 35 to 45 minutes. If desired, top with buttered bread crumbs or other topping.
Serves 8 to 10.