- 1/3 cup dried cherries or dried cranberries
- 3 Tbsp brandy or bourbon (can use juice instead)
- 1 (3 oz – 85 grams) bar white chocolate (a high-quality Swiss or Belgian brand)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 6 cups stale French bread cubes
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cherries or cranberries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Soak cherries or cranberries in brandy or juice for at least one hour, until plumped.
Coarsely chop the chocolate bar.
Meanwhile, bring all remaining ingredients to room temperature. Generously butter the crockery insert of a 3 1/2 quart slow cooker.
Cover the bottom with half of the bread cubes, then scatter half of the drained cherries and chopped chocolate.
Layer on the remaining bread cubes and top with the rest of the cherries and chocolate.
Whisk the eggs and sugar until smooth, then whisk in the vanilla until well blended.
Carefully pour over the bread mixture, gently pressing down on bread to moisten all cubes.
Cook on high for 1 3/4 hours, without lifting lid, until set and puffed.