Asian Apricot Chicken Breasts
Apricot Chicken has a decidedly Asian taste. Taking just 10 minutes to prepare and 10 minutes to cook, you can spice up your family meals. Submitted by David McCarthy, Australia
- 4 boneless skinless, chicken breast halves
- 1 lb 450 grams can of apricot halves, drained and liquid reserved
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 2 + Tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 3/4 cup all purpose self-raising flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 6 scallions spring-onions chopped into half inch (12mm) pieces
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 3 Tbsp fresh cilantro coriander
Place chicken between two pieces of wax paper and pound lightly to flatten to 1/2 inch (12mm) thickness.
Combine reserved apricot syrup with soy sauce, 1/8 tsp of oil and sherry in a bowl.
Combine flour with paprika, cayenne pepper and add salt and pepper to taste in a shallow dish.
Heat two Tbsp of oil in a heavy pan over medium to high heat.
Dredge chicken in flour (both sides), shake off excess flour.
Saute scallions (spring onions) in the pan for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned.Remove from the pan.
Place chicken pieces in the pan and sear both sides rapidly. Turn down heat to medium low and add the apricots and cooked scallions. Drizzle with sherry mixture. Cover pan and simmer for 5 minutes turning the chicken once.
Serve with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds and cilantro (coriander).