Grilled Portobello Sandwich
Make a delicious alternative to the usual barbecue burger. These Grilled Portobello Sandwiches get added flavor from grilled onions and peppers, all smothered in tomato sauce and provolone cheese.
- 1 lb. Portobello mushrooms sliced
- 1 onion sliced thin
- 1 green bell pepper Julienned
- 1 red bell pepper Julienned
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups tomato sauce heated
- 4 submarine rolls
- 1 4 oz. pkg. provolone cheese slices
Coat mushrooms and onions with olive oil in a large mixing bowl.
Stir in the garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper. Blend well.
Divide the vegetables into two batches to grill.
Grill each batch over medium heat on an oiled grate for 10 minutes, turning often.
Reduce heat to low.
Brush the inside of the rolls with tomato sauce.
Place 1/4 of the vegetables onto each roll and top with cheese.
Close the rolls and wrap each tightly in foil.
Grill the sandwiches for about 10 minutes. The bread should be crispy and the cheese melted.