- 3 1/2 lb (1.6 kilo) Chicken, cut in pieces
- 4 Garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tsps Dried oregano
- 1/4 cup Olive oil (I use and recommend Extra Virgin)
- 1/4 cup Red wine vinegar
- 1 cup Pitted prunes
- 1/2 cup Dried apricots
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1/2 cup Green olives, pitted and sliced
- 2 Tbsp Capers
- 1 Tbsp Caper juice
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar (You may only wish to use ¼ cup – depends on taste)
- 3/4 cup Chardonnay or dry white wine
In a large bowl, combine chicken, garlic, oregano, olive oil, vinegar, prunes, apricots, bay leaves, olives, capers and caper juice.
Cover and refrigerate 24 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 F (approx 180 C).
Arrange chicken in a single layer in a shallow baking pan and spoon marinade evenly over chicken.
Sprinkle with brown sugar and pour Chardonnay around chicken.
Bake 45 minutes, basting every 15-20 minutes.
With a slotted spoon, remove chicken, fruit, olives, and capers to a serving platter.
Pour several spoonfuls of pan juices over chicken.
Serve remaining pan juices in a sauce-boat.
Any dry white wine, except sparkling wine, may be substituted for Chardonnay.
This Italian chicken recipe serves 4.