This is good for a quick meal because it can all be prepared in advance of the party. Just the final 10 minutes cooking is required before serving.
- 1 loaf unsliced French bread
- 1 pound (450 grams) ground beef
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1 can of condensed mushroom soup
- 3 slices cheese
- 2 cups of bread crumbs (you can use crumbs from bread scooped from French loaf if you put them through a blender)
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mix together bread crumbs, ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
Brown hamburger mix and drain.
Add celery, green pepper, and soup.
Simmer 5 minutes.
Slice a lid lengthwise off top of bread and hollow out inside. Fill shell with meat and top with cheese; replace top on bread.
Wrap in foil and bake for 10 minutes at 325F (170C).