Fried Chicken and Artichoke
Fried Chicken and Artichoke is a rich, French style recipe — just reading the recipe will make your mouth water. For the best results you should serve with a glass of chilled dry Reisling or an un-wooded Chardonnay.
- 2 pounds 900 grams baby artichokes
- 3 to 4 whole chicken breasts halved
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch cornflour
- 1/3 Cup vegetable oil
- 1 large onion cut in 1/4 inch thick slices
- 2 cloves garlic minced or thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp dried coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp saffron
- 1/2 Cup white wine
- 1/2 Cup chicken broth
- 1 lemon quartered
- 1 5 oz or 140 grams jar green olives with juice
- 8 oz button mushrooms washed and trimmed
- lemon wedges or parsley for garnish
- French baguette
- Rinse artichokes. Set out a large bowl of cold water and add lemon juice. Cut off base and top third of each artichoke and drop in water as you work. Snap off outer leaves until you reach leaves that are yellow at the bottom. Cut artichokes in quarters lengthwise and keep in water.
- Dust each chicken breast lightly with cornstarch. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts and brown lightly on each side. Lift out browned breasts and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper and saffron to skillet. Cook and stir until tender, 5 minutes. Drain artichokes, add to skillet, cook and stir another 5 to 10 minutes. Return chicken breasts to skillet.
- Add wine, chicken broth and lemon. Cover and simmer until chicken is tender, about 1 hour.
- Add mushrooms and olives, cover and cook another 5 minutes.
- Arrange chicken breasts in deep platter or serving dish and spoon sauce over.