Chickpea Salad with Tuna is ideal for dieters and people in a hurry. This quick healthy salad recipe takes around two minutes to put together, but does require chilling time to get full flavor.
- 1 (540 ml) can chickpeas, drained
- 3/4 cup fine chopped parsley. I prefer flat leafed Italian parsley but the curly leaf is fine if that’s all that you have.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice or use part cider or balsamic vinegar
- 1 (198 ml) can chunk light or solid white tuna, drained
- 2 large green (spring) onions, chopped fine
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp of toasted pine nuts, optional
Combine chickpeas and parsley in a bowl. Add oil and lemon juice or vinegar.
Break tuna into large chunks and add to chickpeas.
Add onions, salt and pepper; combine.
Cover and chill for several hours before serving.
Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary (it should taste lemony).
Add toasted pine nuts. I add these after refrigeration to give a little crunch to the texture of the salad. You toast pine nuts in a dry pan over medium heat.
Makes 4 servings.
On weekends I like to prepare it after breakfast and serve for lunch. This helps make the day effort free. Why not finish off your light healthy lunch with a cool fruit smoothie!