2 March, 2018
Chicken and Corn SoupPosted in : Meat Dishes, Poultry, Soups on by : admin
- Half stewing hen or fowl
- 1/4 tsp saffron threads, (optional)
- 2 quarts chicken stock or broth
- 3/4 cup corn kernels(fresh/frozen)
- 1/4 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, coarsely chopped;
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp parsley, fresh chopped
- 1 cup egg noodles, cooked
Combine stewing hen with chicken stock, coarsely chopped onions, carrots, celery, and saffron threads. Bring the stock to a simmer. Simmer for about 1 hour, skimming the surface as necessary.
Remove and reserve the stewing hen until cool enough to handle; then pick the meat from the bones.
Cut into neat little pieces.
Strain the saffron broth through a fine sieve.
Note: The soup can be made through this step in advance. Simply refrigerate broth and diced chicken meat for 2 to 3 days, or freeze the broth and the chicken meat in separate containers. Be sure to label and date them. To use, defrost, remove congealed fat, return the broth full boil, and add the diced meat. Continue with recipe.
Add the corn, celery, parsley, and cooked noodles to the broth.
Return the soup to a simmer and serve immediately.