- 2.2 pounds (1 kg) of boneless pork, e.g. pork neck (from Asian butchers)
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 4 Tbsp soy source
- 4 slices ginger (peeled)
- 3 Tbsp maltose (from Asian food stores) or honey (warmed)
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 Tbsp rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 Tbsp five-spice powder
- 2 Tbsp Hoi Sin sauce
- Pinch of red food coloring (annatto seeds)
- 2 Tbsp honey (warmed)
Cut the pork lengthwise (about 2 inches (5 cm) thick and 8 inches (20 cm long)
Mix marinade in a large bowl or pan. Add pork. Marinate for 6 hours or overnight in the fridge. Turn the meat every now and then.
Preheat oven to 425F (200C) and place a roasting pan filled with 1/2 inch (1 cm ) of water on the base to catch the drips.
Remove the pork from marinade and lay it flat on a wire rack set high in the oven.
Roast for 20 minutes.
Turn over and brush with pre-warmed honey. Continue to roast for 15 minutes.
Turn and brush with honey again.
Roast for another 15 minutes. The pork should have nicely charred edges. Watch that it does not burn too much.
To serve, slice finely thin across the grain.
Enjoy your Chinese BBQ Pork recipe with a glass of chilled Chardonnay.