- 2 cups chopped onions
- Vegetable broth or white wine for sauteing
- 3 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 fresh chili – minced or 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger root
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups diced sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 to 3/4-inch cubes
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups un-drained fresh or canned tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh or frozen sliced okra
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (Coriander)
- chopped peanuts
In a non-reactive pot, saute the onions in the broth or wine on medium heat for 4 or 5 minutes.
Add the cabbage, chili or cayenne and continue to saute, stirring often, until the onions are translucent, about 8 minutes.
Add the grated ginger and the water, cover the pot, and bring to a boil.
Stir in the sweet potatoes, sprinkle with salt, and simmer for 5 or 6 minutes, until the potatoes are barely tender. Add the tomatoes, okra, and lime juice.
Simmer until all of the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and add more salt to taste.
Sprinkle the stew with chopped peanuts. Top with a few sprigs of cilantro (Coriander).