- 1 lb fresh garden snow peas, washed and strings trimmed off
- 1/2 cup carrots, cut into very thin strips
- 1/2 cup red bell peppers, cut into very thin strips
- 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger root
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms, your choice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce (optional, may substitute with 1 Tbsp more soy sauce)
- Salt to taste
- Sesame seeds for garnish
Fill a large bowl with ice and water and place in the sink.
Bring a pot of water to a brisk boil.
Drop snow peas into the boiling water and cook for 20 seconds; immediately drain and dump into the ice water, then drain completely in a colander.
In a large salad bowl, combine cooked snow peas, carrots, red bell peppers, and water chestnuts. Cover and keep cool.
Sauté ginger and mushrooms in sesame oil over medium heat until fragrant (2-3 minutes).
Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook an additional 1 minute.
Add in soy sauce, brown sugar, oyster sauce (if using) and salt to taste. Stir well.
Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes while stirring.
Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Add cooled dressing to the vegetable blend. Toss to combine. Garnish with sesame seeds.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings